The History Of Roops Mill

English General

The Spa at Roop’s Mill is the only full service private day spa in Carroll County. It is located in Westminster, Maryland and is situated on the historical property of Roop’s Mill. The charming, old brick building is the perfect host for relaxation and tranquility. From custom painted murals to private treatment rooms, you will feel relaxed from the minute you walk in the door. The Hhistory of the Mill The Roop’s Mill complex is located on the south side of Taneytown Pike about a mile west of Westminster. Meadow Branch Creek runs through the property, providing water for the millrace. The complex focuses on a three-story brick and stone mill, dating from c. 1795 and rebuilt in 1816, which retains machinery from various periods during its operation. The David Roop House, an 1825 stone dwelling, stands near the mill. A log cooper’s shed, an early two-part bank barn, and numerous farm sheds complete the mill and farmstead grouping. An innovative late-19th century iron suspension bridge provides pedestrian access across marshy Meadow Branch Creek, connecting the property near the bank barn to the 1860s brick John D. Roop House to the west. The mill itself is four stories high, constructed in 1816 on the stone foundation of a log mill building dating from the 1790s. The property was deeded in 1742. The brick mill was constructed according to the designs of Oliver Evans, who patented rights to several mill innovations and then charged prospective millers for the right to use his designs. The overall concept was a gravity feed system that allowed for efficient operation for processing flour as it moved downward through a multi-story building. The overshot waterwheel (later converted to a turbine and still intact) located on the ground floor inside the mill not only operated the grain mill but also an up-and-down sawmill (still intact) attached to the northwest corner of the building, and a cider mill (no longer extant). The exterior walls are approximately 18” thick, and the flooring is of wide wooden planks. On the second floor are three grinding stones, which were imported from France through the Port of Baltimore: one for wheat, to produce graham flour (the mill’s specialty), the second to grind oats and rye for cattle feed, and the third to grind yellow cornmeal. The roof was first sheathed in metal in 1898. The mill remained in continuous operation until 1919…

Please ENROL FOR FREE or LOGIN to The Website to View The Entire Essay or Term Paper.
LOGIN ENROL FOR FREE